Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

Camping

Camping is a great theme for summer time. This week we are learning all about camping. Camping (for me) is a trickier theme to stretch through a whole week...but i'm gonna try!

Of course you will need a big tent and all the camping supplies. I used my tent from home, a kid sized sleeping bag, small chairs, lanterns, binoculars, cameras and what camping trip wouldn't be complete without (plastic) insects!!! I also used paper towel rolls and tissue paper to create a camp fire and took some sticks from outside and put cotton balls on the end so that the kids could roast marshmallows!



We also made some camp fire art by using cut up brown paper strips with some red and yellow paint. I encouraged the children to use straws to blow the paint over the fire. It looked really cool!


We also made a S'more craft that was so adorable! I used old cardboard  cut into squares (for the graham cracker) , brown paper cut into squares (for chocolate) and cotton balls (for marshmallows)
I also made some really cute animal track matching cards. I printed out various "wilderness" animals and their matching footprints. I wrote the names on the bottom (because some of them are pretty tricky) I'm also going to be using these cards for my hibernating animal theme later in the year!



I also made cute little camping play sets in our sensory trays using sand, rocks, tissue paper and card stock covered in a patterned plastic tablecloth

We also used our camping theme to talk about a few different insects we see at night. ex. fireflies and mosquitos.


No comments:

Post a Comment