Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Our classes favorite books!

The group of children I have this year are really into story time. I have an intense collection of books on my classroom bookshelf, in the closet and also on the circle time shelf. I also send a book bag home with a child once a week for them to provide books to share with the class, and go to the library twice a month for new books. I love stories that can be "acted out", used a felt board or have props.... these are some of our favorites (this is an ongoing list and i will get the authors names when i find them)

This is a really cute story that we act out with our preschoolers using all the props from the story ( 5 pennies, a flower, a paper hat, a bone, a fish and a cookie) Each child gets a piece of the story and buys an item for a penny. This story helps with counting skills and memory skills. There are also a lot of activities to use with this story at http://www.makinglearningfun.com We use the penny counting flashcards
                                            
For those of you who don't already know Jann Brett has an AMAZING website with tons of downloadable images, activities and flashcards. I downloaded all of her "Mitten animal" masks and we use the masks to act out this story. Each child represents a different animal and i use a giant sheet as the mitten. The children climb into the sheet until the "mitten" is so big it explodes all over the circle time rug!

This story is a favorite among our children. I ordered it from scholastic and it came with a CD. Each page represents a different dinosaur and there is a short sentence about each dinosaur. Even I learned things from this book!

 Stellaluna is a story that is aimed for ages 7 and up, but for some reason our children this year LOVE it!!! We have the little Stellaluna bat that goes with the story. The story is about a young bat that thinks she's a bird. It's adorable
This is a really fun story and there are many different activities that go with it at http://www. makinglearningfun.com. We use the felt pieces and the tracer pages!



 These books are both my Mo Williams. I don't get them at all. To me they are kinda silly. My the kids in my class are obsessed with them! I love watching their faces as i read them... they are smiling ear to ear and totally get the humor (unlike i do)











 
This story I had never heard about until one of my preschoolers brought it in my home to share with us, and it is now on my bookshelf. The story is a big hit with the boys! It's about a little boy who wants to buy a digger and do all these fun things with it, but his little baby brother is too small to help.



This is another great story by Jan Brett. I put out a small clothes line with some clothes pins and winter items to go with it
   
 


No comments:

Post a Comment